04. Benson Round House, c. 1909
The Southern Pacific, Benson round house was located near the intersection of Highway 80 and (former) 86 within 100 yards of the underpass. This is where maintenance and repairs were done on the engines. Notice the smoke stack laying on the ground that was taken off a wood-burning engine.
The eight-stall round house was built in December of 1898 and moved to Tucson in 1910.
A roundhouse is a building with a circular or semicircular shape used by railroads for servicing and storing locomotives adjacent to a turntable, allowing steam engines to be rotated. Early steam locomotives normally traveled forwards only. Turntables allowed locomotives or other rolling stock to be turned around for the return journey, and roundhouses, designed to radiate around the turntables, were built to service and store these locomotives.
Artist: Doug Quarles
Size: 5' x 9'
Completed: September 2013
City of Benson
Arizona G & T Cooperatives
Benson Jr. Women