22. Health Care -- Then and Now
The Benson Hospital Mural depicts the healthcare in Benson. The picture on top center is the original hospital run by Dr. Hesser in the 1950’s. Directly below shows healing hands to stand for the compassionate care Benson Hospital has always offered to patients. To the left is an olden-days nurse next to a modern-day ER setting. The right displays some of the modern technology used by Benson Hospital today. And last but certainly not least, is a picture of one of our Auxiliary volunteers who works at the hospital.
Dr. James M. Hesser was born in Stillwater, Oklahoma and died in Tucson, AZ. He received his medical license on 6 September 1941 from Oklahoma University School of Medicine. During World War II he served at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base in Tucson. Upon leaving the service he began treating the community in and around Benson, and founded a 10 bed hospital.
On 1 Mar 1950 Dr. Hesser, rushing to a scene of an accident west of Benson, lost control of his vehicle, rolled two times, and was ejected from his vehicle. His own ambulance, following, took him to the Benson Hospital for emergency treatment and then to the Tucson medical center for further treatment where it was determined that Dr. Hesser was paralyzed from the waist down. Upon recovering from his injuries Dr. Hesser was not to be deterred from practicing medicine and continued to serve the people in Benson until his death.
Artist: Doug Quarles
Size: 10' x 33'
Completed: June 2014